The fine imposed by the Nigerian Communications Commission, NCC, on MTN Nigeria for failing to disconnect 5.1 million unregistered subscribers from its network in the months of August and September, has again been increased by 10 per cent to N780 billion.
The fine, which was originally N1.04 trillion, was reduced to N674 billion, representing a 35 per cent reduction, following high level discussions between the MTN Group and NCC officials.
But a statement by the MTN Group Corporate Affairs on Friday said it received a formal letter dated 2 December 2015 from the NCC (the first letter) informing the company that it had taken the decision to reduce the fine imposed on the MTN Nigerian business from the N1.04 trillion (original fine) to N674 billion, with a December 31, 2015 deadline.
The statement, however, said late on 3 December 2015, the day after receipt of the first letter, the MTN Group received a further letter from the NCC (the Second Letter), which was clearly stated to supersede the first letter, informing the company that the fine had actually been reduced by 25% to N780 billion and not by 35% as previously stated.
The payment date remained unchanged.
According to MTN, neither the first letter nor the second sets out any details on how the reduction was determined.
The company said it was “carefully considering both the first letter and the second letter, and the Executive Chairman Phuthuma Nhleko will immediately and urgently re-engage with the Nigerian Authorities before responding formally”.